Friday, July 19, 2013

Making Friends When You’re Afraid People Won’t Understand You

There are a few things I remind myself to get out of this rut.

The more I get to know myself, the more I can predict my tendencies and practice self-care.
The more honest I am with others, the more honesty I am inviting from them, and the more likely I can help set the tone for intimacy.
The more people I come to contact with, the more likely I will come across individuals who might be healthier for me and be in a place to work with me.
The more people I come across, the more practice I will have in learning understanding, self-control, and compassion.
The more I obsess about making a mistake with a new person, the more likely I will.
Therefore, despite my failed friendships and relationships, I have strong conviction that the strongest relationships are those with deep commitment—and that the first and strongest relationship should be that which is with yourself.

I have committed to not let past fears and rejection hold me back. This commitment is a type of freedom in itself, and a small model of what I can aspire to in relationships with others.

Have you ever felt limited by the fear that others won’t understand you? What’s helped you overcome it?

No comments:

Post a Comment