Sunday, February 24, 2013

Thick Thighs, Wide Hips & Large Breasts: How I Learned To Love My Museum-Worthy Body

Our attempts to achieve unrealistic goals often fail, or we achieve them at a great expense. We’re left with lower self-esteem than when we started.

I can remember a time when I’ve been heavier, as well as a time when I’ve weighed less than my current weight. I know what it takes for me to go in either direction, but the truth is that my current weight is natural for me. Most importantly, I know that I'm healthy.

So when I sometimes hear my nasty inner critic start to judge my body when I see photos or videos of myself, I take a deep breath and smile.

I’m proud to put an image into the public eye that can act as a counter to what we normally see. Yes, it can be hard at times to compete against the slew of petite teachers who look more like the “ideal” images I see on magazine covers, but I have to remember that it’s not a competition between me and these other women. The real battle is me against the self-hate that comes as a result of seeing modern media.

So, when I look in the mirror and compliment my curvy shape, I’ve won.

When I practice yoga and smile at the strength of my thick thighs, I’ve won.

And when I get in front of the camera, wearing tight yoga clothes with nothing to hide behind, again, I’ve won.

Hopefully, sooner than later, women will be valued more for their self-worth rather than their size.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7797/thick-thighs-wide-hips-large-breasts-how-i-learned-to-love-my-museum-worthy-b.html

No comments:

Post a Comment